As a candidate preparing for the VCDX, I appreciate any material which makes the certification prep easier or saves time. I especially appreciate technical content and guidance from those in the know, i.e. current VCDX holders! As such, I jumped at the chance to pick up a copy of John, Ben, and Mostafa’s VCDX Boot Camp book, just released via VMware Press.
This book is a must-read for anyone preparing for the VCDX and is the most convenient all-in-one guide to have with you when preparing for this certification. The amount of useful documentation, books, and other training material for the VCDX seems to have been increasing, of late. This is most likely due to the status of the certification in the industry as well as the demand for VCDX-certified professionals out in the workforce.
The book is described as follows:
Prepare to succeed at your VCDX panel defense and gain world-class knowledge for designing complex VMware environments
VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX) is the highest level of VMware certification, achieved by dedicated professionals who have demonstrated exceptional skill in VMware enterprise deployments. To earn a VCDX, professionals must create a complete enterprise VMware design and undergo an arduous defense at the hands of some of the world’s most sophisticated VMware experts.
Now, for the first time, there’s a comprehensive guide to VCDX defense: VCDX Boot Camp. Based on the legendary standing-room-only boot camps led by VCDX co-creator John Arrasjid, this guide captures the unsurpassed personal experience of three pioneering VCDX certification holders, program developers, and defense panelists.
John Arrasjid, Ben Lin, and Mostafa Khalil cover everything you need to know to prepare for certification. They demystify the entire VCDX defense process, clearly explain its format and prerequisites, and offer indispensable tips for maximizing your likelihood of success. Detailed chapters on both design and troubleshooting offer four complete scenarios explaining exactly what VCDX panelists will expect from your defense.
Learn how to think like a VCDX, discovering powerful insights and best practices for designing your own world-class virtualized environment.
- Authoritative preparation guidance (including expert insights into scheduling your preparation and defense)
- Tips for conducting mock defenses, boot camps, and study sessions with your colleagues
- How to select, create, and document a superior, defensible design
- How to make design choices and incorporate design patterns that support the VCDX blueprint
- How to confidently defend your skills in architecture, designing new solutions, and troubleshooting design or implementation flaws
- Proven tips for responding to tough questions from panelists
- Detailed example defenses of designs incorporating VCDX-DCV, VCDX-Cloud, and VCDX-DT
The VCDX was a mystery for most of those interested in taking up the certification, until recently. It is great to see an official reference on the subject. This book serves as both a great reference and practical guidance for exam success.
All of the elements required for certification success are here, from preparation, to the design, and then the defense itself, including the scenarios you will face. I would have liked to see more examples as the book is a bit on the short side.
- Great reference
- Finally some printed guidance from members of the VCDX panel team
- Can skip around if looking for extra help on a particular part of the exam
- A tad bit on the short side (in terms of length)
- Could go into a bit more detail, without giving away proprietary information
- More examples are needed to cover additional scenarios and to help increase the length
Overall, I would recommend giving this book a try! 4/5
*Disclosure: I received an electronic copy of this book for evaluation purposes. This in no way affect this review or any review done on this site.
5,575 total views, no views today