Monday will mark my 1st six months at NetApp. I started with the title of “Virtualization Solutions Architect” which meant that I was focused on any virtualization solution on top of NetApp products. Management has changed my group’s focus a bit and the team I’m on is now laser-focused on any and all VMware solutions on NetApp hardware and software platforms. My title is officially “Technical Marketing Engineer“, but “VMware Solutions Architect” or “Technical Marketing Architect” sound nice as well…
As such, the team is growing and we are currently looking for someone in Silicon Valley (or willing to relocate) to help us expand our relationship with VMware in a Technical Marketing capacity. Optimally the candidate should have a strong background in VMware (i.e. VCAP/VCDX) and also a deep understanding of NetApp’s value proposition and uniqueness in VMware environments. You will be working on-site at VMware’s Palo Alto offices and spending a significant amount of time meeting with PMs and engineers at VMware in addition to conferences, VMUGs, EBCs, and technical content delivery.
I invite you to apply if you fit this description and if this role sounds interesting to you. It will be an exciting role with direct impact on the future of NetApp and VMware’s partnership.
See details of the requisition below:
At NetApp the Technical Marketing team is a critical part of enabling our customers to deploy varying workloads on VMware vSphere hypervisors and in cloud constructs by focusing on performance, scalability and security. NetApp’s commitment to deep integrations and extensions enable customers to quickly adopt and broaden their virtualization initiatives, and we have a rare opening for a candidate who is obsessed with making the cloud a better place to be for enterprises of all sizes. As part of this highly elite TME team, you will work extensively with our key partner to drive technical vision, test and identify new use cases, and identify constant improvements in our growing integrations and extensions. Equally important will be your ability to create and mature relationships across corporate and engineering team boundaries within NetApp and our Partner organizations.
As a Technical Marketing Engineer at NetApp you will work with technologies that will shape the industry and our partnership for the foreseeable future, including infrastructure optimization, virtualization, enterprise applications, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and data center consolidation. Through working with our partner and these technologies you will develop a bird’s-eye view of where the IT world is headed, where our partners are focused and provide keen insight back to our engineering organization.
We are seeking an individual who has a deep-level familiarity with deploying, tuning and removing bottlenecks in enterprise applications, especially Microsoft (such as Exchange, SharePoint), virtual desktop environments, and other business applications. Prior experience at a large enterprise in a senior IT role is desirable. An understanding of software design constructs and demonstrable experience translating abstract engineering constructs into concrete marketing collateral is required. In short, we want someone who is comfortable with both engaging and driving engineering initiatives, writing and delivering amazing presentations and working with partners and customers.
Essential Functions: – You will influence technology strategy for current and future virtualization projects. – You will be expected to forge relationships and become a bridge between key teams at NetApp and VMware.
– You will influence and communicate strategic directions to management for adoption.- You will lead projects and be accountable for project deliverables working with cross-functional and business unit teams and lead inter-department cross functional teams. This may include researching, proposing, managing and designing Partner integrations highlighting NetApp technologies.
– You will be a Subject Matter Expert in a few technologies across the industry and customer landscape influencing at the Director and C-executive level. As the breadth of NetApp strategic technology interests broadens, you will continue to build your expertise with continued internal and external education and collaboration with industry experts.- You will identify gaps in product/process and make proactive suggestions for improvement.
– Influence the strategic direction of activities with your Team, Project Stakeholders, Product Management, Partners, Sr Director and VP. This role often interfaces with Technical Directors, other Business Units and industry contacts and thus you will need to build productive relationships and networks.
– You will be responsible for creating and presenting technical and strategic content to customers and partners and gather feedback to influence product and solution offerings. Interpret field feedback to generate strategic direction.
– You will be responsible for identifying and managing the development of collateral in your focused areas of technical expertise to highlight best practices and NetApp’s value proposition.- You will collaborate on strategy with senior product management to inspire strategic products, solutions or reference architecture roadmaps and plans. This includes participating in cross-functional teams to develop product and solution roadmaps.Job RequirementsKey Requirements:- Ability to plan, outline and publish professional technical documents on a defined timeline.
– Ability to forge relationships across organizational boundaries (internal and external) with a focus on influencing individuals and teams through clear and effective communications and strong relationships.
– Act as an ambassador for NetApp through the understanding and articulation of our requirements and interests with our partner community.
– Ability to communicate in a clear and concise professional manner, tailored to the appropriate audience; including both verbal and written communications.
– Proven experience leading across business unit teams with strong influencing skills at the Senior and Executive level.
– Previous experience fostering and nurturing a collaborative environment capable of working on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation and effort across multiple teams (internal and external).
– Previous technical experience with one or more enterprise applications or technologies, such as Microsoft (Exchange, Office, SharePoint, SQL, or others), VMware, NetApp, SAP, Oracle or other business applications.
– Prior experience identifying performance bottlenecks in storage infrastructures.
– Prior experience as a TME is desirable, but as a substitute we will consider other successful technical experience from the enterprise world — software engineering, IT or QA.
– Powershell scripting experience is a plus.
– Experience with vCloud Director is a big plus.
– Experience using performance analysis tools, such as one or more of the following:◦ Wireshark, tcpdump, ESXTop, etc. ◦ WAN/network simulation tools
– Fluency in PowerPoint, Word and Excel is required.
– Active member of the virtualization social media space (blogging, podcasts, tweeting, etc.)
– Up to 25% travel, such as product launch events, customer visits, and industry events.
– Internal drive and the desire to do what it takes to win!
Key Success Indicators:– You must be willing to consider and apply new perspectives and creative approaches for tasks that are often unstructured and the issues addressed are less defined.
– You must rely on and apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving problems that are complex in scope and scale requiring in-depth evaluation. – You must demonstrate good judgment in solving problems as well as identifying problems in advance, and proposing solutions.
– You must work effectively with software engineers, alliance managers, marketing teams and field engineers to drive awareness of NetApp’s initiatives and translate partner roadmaps into tangible integration opportunities within NetApp.
– You must successfully work with limited supervision and direction and accept that you will operate and drive strategic results without boundaries and set priorities independently.- You must be a proactive contributor, influencer, and subject matter expert.
– You must demonstrate favorable results through regular leadership and influencing others.
– You will be expected to act as a mentor to both senior and junior Technical Marketing Engineers.Education and ExperienceEducation & Experience Requirements:- A minimum of 8 years in a technical role, such as Technical Marketing, Software Engineering, QA or IT in the virtualization industry.
– B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or related field (M.S. and/or MBA highly desirable).
– Industry certifications required:
VCP5 and VCAP (VCDX highly desirable)
– Demonstrated ability to successfully complete multiple and complex technical projects
– Writing, communications, influencing and presentation skills
3,252 total views, 3 views today